Thursday, January 07, 2010

Our new life routine

Nowadays, my daily ritual is feed and change Shay Ning every hour for 20-30 minutes each time between her 0600 - 1400hrs, then it's twice between 1400-1800hrs, and another 2-3 times between 1800-0000hrs. After that, it's 1-2 times between 0000 - 0600hrs. In the evenings, when she 'fusses', wouldn't sleep or feed, she needs to be held and soothed for 1-2 hrs to sleep, thankfully, Lougong is a good father and takes care of Shay Ning when she fusses in the evening so I can have dinner and take my shower. That is more or less the usual if she's not on a growth spurt, that is a totally different story, it's once every 1-1.5 hours from 0600 - 0000hrs.
 
Ever since Lougong has gone back to work, I've been following a 'system' to adapt to taking care of baby, myself and the household chores :)
 
For someone who cooks occassionally after work or in the weekends, and is okay cleaning house once every few months, this is a really BIG challenge. When Lougong went back to work, I have no one to pack lunch for me, to take over caring for Shay Ning when she fusses when I'm worn out, doing laundry (about 20 diapers daily), all that is quite a handful for me to handle on my own.
 
So, every alternate day, I do laundry, with about 65 diapers to last thru the 2-day laundry cycle. She wets close to 20 diapers daily.
 
As for food, I cook 4 portions of food when it's not laundry day, so I can refrigerate 2 portions for when it's laundry day, and when I cannot cook by lunch on a cooking day. Since I only have very short periods 20-30 minutes to prepare meals, I break up the preparation in these slots. When all the ingredients are ready, I use the steamer to make a stew / soup, with rice / noodle on top layer, sometimes steamed egg with minced meat or other side dishes on top (it has 4 layers). The Simply Her freebie induction cooker comes in handy as I can set the temperature (tried and tested beforehand) and the timer so that if I need to attend to baby for long periods, I don't have to worry about it boiling over at the gas stove ;) Convenient eh?
 
I've also been looking for snacks and decided to make sardine fillings (like those in curry puffs, fry chopped big onions, mash sardines with bones removed, then season with tomato sauch, salt, pepper) and egg mayo for toasted sandwiches. Checked online, these fillings can last a week in the fridge. So there, two snacks a day taken care of, once before lunch, once before dinner :) Maybe I'll make some hummus too, if I have the time, sigh.
 
Am tempted to get a sandwich maker :P I like my food hot :P
 
Till my next post, think it's time she wakes for milk.

Erm, just checked, she's awake, but went back to sleep. Gave me a very sleepy smile when I checked her diaper and asked if she wants milk. Sigh. These are the moments I live for nowadays :)

No comments:

Post a Comment