Friday, May 20, 2011

Ning's First Week @ "School"

It was heart-wrenching.

She cried so hard when the lady at childcare took her from my arms, but she settled down quite quickly at the playground, the first day. Today, she cried longer. I'd thought that it would get easier for her to settle down as time went on.

The first day, she wouldn't eat or drink a drop. The teachers say that she pushed everything away. Toys. Food. Water bottle. When it was time to change to her indoor sandals, she wouldn't let the teacher put them on. She insisted on her outdoor shoes. Once the shoes were back on, she told the teacher, "there" and pointed towards the door, where we dropped her off and said "Yee Yee" (she kept referring to me as "yee yee" since this ordeal started). So, I went and feed her breast milk then, the centre's food, during each of her meal times.

By lunch today, she managed to down half the bowl of noodle, took one bite of the watermelon. By tea time, she drank 40ml of milk! The teachers told me, she still wouldn't let them feed her, so they left it on the table and explained, "Mummy will come later, drink milk first." And she drank it by herself. Good girl!

I did overhear, before walking in at tea time, the teacher tell her not to cry, or else she'd stop carrying her. It breaks my heart that the teacher can be so careless with words with the toddler. The reason for her crying, is she thinks Mummy's not coming back or not caring for her anymore, and saying that is rubbing salt into the wound. I'm so sad.

She could sleep there, from exhaustion of crying and trying to communicate to them, I guess. It's the eating and drinking which I'm worried about. Hopefully, next week, she'd do even better. Once home, we give her more time to unwind and let her sleep later, 9pm (1 hr later than usual). She's happy and seemed to be in her normal cheerful mood.

Today, in the MRT, it was crowded, we were packed like sardines and she asked for breast milk. Luckily, by the second stop, an elderly man gave up his seat for us. And, thankfullly, the young lady next to him gave hers up for him. After feeding, Ning looked at the tired old man next to us, he looked sad. 

I said that "Gong Gong is tired and sleeping." On both our sides were old men, sleeping. When I told her we were getting off the next stop, she said, unexpectedly, "Bye bye, Gong Gong." The old man pretended to continue sleeping, and I was afraid she was disturbing him, so I told her, so that she might give it up, "Gong Gong is tired and sleeping, he may not hear you." And guess what, she said LOUDLY, "BYE BYE, GONG GONG," and waved, to the amusement of the commuters right in front of us and this time, it made the Gong Gong smile and wide awake. It woke the other Gong Gong up too, and she said goodbye to him as well.

Ning Ning is really adorable, I love my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment