Sunday, April 13, 2014

Last night's bedtime questions

Ning asked me these 2 questions just before snoozing...
"Mummy, why are there 7 days in a week?
Why do we only have 5 fingers on each hand?"

Those were very good questions.
Though I think it is also a bedtime delay tactic.

I said I'd Google them the next day.
On the way to Beary Fun Gym, I did.

The answers...

Why do we have 7 days in a week?
It takes 7 days from new moon to half moon,
7 days from half moon to full moon,
7 days from full moon to half moon, and
7 days from half moon to new moon.
It quite concisely split up the month, which is based on the moon cycle too.

The names were originated from Babylonians based on the 7 planets, at the time, which included the Sun and Moon. To-date, only Sunday, Monday and Saturday survived.

Why do we have 5 fingers on each hand?
This one's begging for more questions.

We belong to the following biological classification:
Domain: Eukaryota (mutliple cells)
Kingdom: Animilia (animal kingdom)
Phylum: Chordata (with back bones)
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: sapiens

At this stage I said we are mammals and mammals have 5 fingers, but humans have 4 fingers and 1 opposable thumb enabling it to 'kiss' the fingers facing each other. She had enough info to process but didn't pursue her original question. Truly, I don't know why we have 5 fingers. I only explained that we are grouped together but not why. Maybe next time she'd realize and ask me again, then I'll confess I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment