Sunday, May 11, 2014

Do not judge a person until you've walked a mile in his shoes

I think I have heard this one a long time ago... back in secondary school.

At the time, I thought, what have shoes gotta do with your judgement? Maybe the shoes influence our behaviour? Literally. If the other person is wearing uncomfortable blistering shoes, would it make him work harder or steal shoes?

Now, bout 20 years later, I am thinking it's more about empathy and being non-judgmental, don't be too harsh on others until you know what the other person has been through.

The thing about the other person is, we never know the full story, what they've been or are going through.

For example, a person who seem distracted at work, may be going thru a miscarriage or having a difficult pregnancy, or even dealing with a untreatable disease.

Instead of giving the person a breather, you breathe down their neck, or even severe all amicable ties with them. If you knew about the miscarriage or disease, would you still have breathed down their neck?

We visited Haw Par Villa recently and we saw this outside one of the displays, the 10 courts of Hell.

What it meant was, roughly:
Kind deeds begets kind deeds
Unkind deeds begets unkind deeds
If you don't get your just returns immediately,  it doesn't mean it won’t get it at all
It's just that the time has not arrived

Gosh... a lot of times when I felt injustice,  I didn't have this to console me. Now I do. I can face any injustice and be rest assure that there'll be justice. Just not right now. Gosh, I am so mean :P

Hope I've done more good than wrongs, else there'll be hell to payback. Karma.

Baddies out there, the hardcore ones out to plot harm against others, not the accidental ones, beware! Your just returns will be served in life or in death!

No comments:

Post a Comment